Re: [XP] Performance Appraisals for XP champion and developers.

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 131 , Oct 10, 2005
      Jeff Langr wrote:
      > Hi Ilja,
      >
      > I don't know if you posted it before, but can you point out some of the
      > evidence against monetary rewards? I've certainly seen negative
      > reactions when rewards were inappropriately doled out, but I haven't
      > seen anything that says rewards are universally bad. Probably because I
      > just haven't looked hard enough. I'm sure there is ample "evidence" in
      > both directions.

      I think unexpected rewards can be good. I think goal-based ones aren't.
      It comes down to the motivation you expect to gain. I'm not going to be
      motivated by the offer of a reward that isn't even close to equal the
      amount of overtime I'd have to put in to reach a goal that is barely
      achievable and has a high failure rate. In fact, I'd be even more
      *de*motivated.

      I think that as long as rewards aren't used as carrots in front of a
      horse to get them to move, and are tailored to the individual, they can
      be good things.

      Cory
    • Cory Foy
      Message 131 of 131 , Oct 10, 2005