Re: [XP] Is the Metaphor Dead?

  • Tim Haughton
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2005
      On 06/10/05, Elizabeth Keogh <ekeogh@...> wrote:

      > I've never quite grasped what XP means by a metaphor, which annoys me
      > because I love metaphor and analogy.
      >
      > Do you have any examples you could please share of when you have used
      > metaphors, what the metaphor was and how it helped you?

      The last one I recall using, I think, was a fishing boat one. It's a
      metaphor I'd seen used before, and might be quite a common one. It's use
      might have been influenced by the fact my client was in a major fishing
      city.
      The metaphor was for a polling mechanism. A poller had to check a database
      and several directories for some XML messages. This was replaced by a
      fishing boat fishing in various fishing grounds. We wanted a maximum of 200
      messages fetched at any one time, so we imposed fishing quotas. The business
      team got quite into it, they even reported defects in terms of the metaphor.
      Like - "When the fisherman goes to this fishing ground, he seems to have a
      hole in his net.".
      It made for good fun. Sometimes it was taken a little far, like when we
      found issues in Bugzilla talking about the boat running aground between
      fishing zones. - One of services on which the poller depended was a bit
      flaky, causing to poller to appear to stop.
      I've never worked with a client where I've thought "if I don't have a
      metaphor, I won't be able to talk to these guys." YMMV
      Cheers,
      Tim

    • Jim Standley
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2005
        I thought I got good mileage recently with a bicycle courier for a
        referral / workflow concept. I wanted to emphasize that it was
        lightweight and large packages (attachments) were out of scope. Stopping
        to ask for directions, handing off to other couriers and a choice of
        waiting for a reply or just dropping things off also worked well.