[extremeprogramming] Re: I got the books this weekend! Hooray!and questions...!

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
      From: Ron Jeffries

      > Related but not the same. Do the simplest thing is how you get started
      on a
      > new task. YAGNI is how you keep from building more than you need.
      Certainly
      > both are based on the same notion.

      Now now - why did Ron get them backwards? Because DTSTTCPW is design,
      but you get YAGNI _after_ coding and seeing what you could have coded if
      GoldPlating were still in... Gotcha.

      Phlip
    • Phil Goodwin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
        Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > The trick is to do only documentation that is actually used. If it isn't
        > used, destroy it, don't update it.

        I don't get how you add value by throwing it away. Not updating it I
        get, but why throw it away? Some people keep engineering notebooks. I
        can see just filling them up and sticking them on my bookshelf. When the
        shelf fills up just throw the oldest one away. Sometimes that old stuff
        comes in handy.

        --
        Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
          At 02:58 PM 1/31/2000 -0800, you wrote:
          >I don't get how you add value by throwing it away. Not updating it I
          >get, but why throw it away? Some people keep engineering notebooks. I
          >can see just filling them up and sticking them on my bookshelf. When the
          >shelf fills up just throw the oldest one away. Sometimes that old stuff
          >comes in handy.

          I'll send you all mine. ;->

          Thing one: I keep all my old engineering notebooks. I return to them once
          in a while, usually when I'm in the basement for something else. Rarely I
          find something useful. However, my engineering notebooks are records of my
          thoughts. Usually my thoughts are different today - always I know what they
          are.

          Design documents that are unused are taking up space. And as the project
          evolves, they become less and less true.

          It's hard to throw things out that one might go back to someday. That's why
          there are so many books on my shelves. But wait till I have to move again ...

          Regards,

          Ron Jeffries
          Extreme Programming Training and Consultation
          www.XProgramming.com
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2000
            phil goodwin wrote:

            > I don't get how you add value by throwing it away. Not updating it I
            > get, but why throw it away? Some people keep engineering notebooks. I
            > can see just filling them up and sticking them on my bookshelf. When
            the
            > shelf fills up just throw the oldest one away. Sometimes that old
            stuff
            > comes in handy.

            Ron reduces risk. Documentation written, maybe for an investor, before
            code got written tends to contain the most amazing fiction...

            --Phlip