Re: [XP] refactoring

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 129 , Oct 1, 2005
      Victor wrote:
      > Hi Cory,
      >
      >>FWIW, I've heard from people before that they have a hard time with the
      >>XP list because there is too much theoretical discussion and not enough
      >>down-and-dirty.
      >
      > I didn't see anybody stopping others from posting "down-and-dirty"
      > contributions. Those that want more, only need to make their contributions.

      Agreed. I think Ron said that recently too.

      >> > The way I view it is that some Just Want to Get Work Done.
      >

      > Again, nobody is stopping anybody else from Getting Work Done. On the other
      > hand, I have seen this expression misused frequently enough that a yellow
      > light turns on in my mind when I hear it again. Most of the time I hear it,
      > the hidden implication is mindless work, where quality is secondary. Yet, I
      > don't think we need to agree on everything. The way I see it, the value of
      > this forum is more as a venue to exchange ideas, rather than a place where
      > we *have to* agree on somebody's point of view.

      And I'm sorry if you thought that I was inferring that from your post.
      It was the "division" that I was commenting on - not the general state
      of the group. I don't know the state of the group - just my own. ;)

      To quote a recent poster, "it depends on the context" - I think of
      Getting Work Done in the context of this group to mean they just want to
      produce quality software that makes customers happy so they are willing
      to fork over lots of cash. I think of Getting Work Done within most
      teams I've been a part of to mean that we should stop discussing
      concepts and just build the thing already.

      I reminded of a story I read in I believe _The Code Book_ where a
      general came into a room where the scientists were sitting there tossing
      a ball around. He was furious because it didn't look like they were
      Getting Work Done.

      Both of the contexts I refer to are primarily targetted at discussions
      like Refactoring, where some want to know the pure answer, some want
      some basic guideline so they can do it, and some want consensus on the
      term so we have some basic understanding of what it is we are doing. I
      personally enjoy all of the conversations here, and hold them in high
      regard. I apologize if my reply to you made it seem otherwise.

      Cory
    • aacockburn
      Message 129 of 129 , Mar 6, 2008
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...>
        wrote:

        > "... of Illinois" (at Urbana/Champaign)

        Thanks - I was typing fast and my mind went blank. Alistair