Re: [XP] refactoring

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 129 , Oct 1, 2005
      Victor wrote:
      > One thing this discussion seems to have brought up is the division of this
      > forum into two groups: one that prefers to develop a more accurate and
      > consistent use of language, and one that's content with less. This is
      > probably an issue of personal preferences and the best we can do is voice
      > our opinions, be aware of the other opinions available, and go on to the
      > next subject. My impression is that we have covered this subject
      > extensively enough.

      FWIW, I've heard from people before that they have a hard time with the
      XP list because there is too much theoretical discussion and not enough
      down-and-dirty.

      The way I view it is that some Just Want to Get Work Done. Others want
      to get everything right. Is it important that we as a group have a
      consesus on Refactoring? Or is it more important that when I'm sitting
      in front of my V.P. I can explain what needs to be done?

      OTOH, there are several authors on this list, and it might be important
      that when words get down on paper that the variances be at least
      understood, and hopefully expressed by the author. You may have seen the
      book list we posted a few days ago. The last thing I want is to have one
      of our developers read two of those books and go, "This one says X, this
      one adamantly says Y, and this is supposed to be a community? Bah!"

      > Now, one of the pieces of advice in XP is consistent use of standards.
      > Language use is a standard, and what you call "academic precision" is what
      > makes communication clear, which is the value of consistent use of
      > standards.

      I take consistent use of standards to mean standardizing practices to
      the mold that is your team, your organization, and your project. I have
      a hard time linking XP and Academic Precision - the two would seem to
      have different objectives.

      Cory
    • aacockburn
      Message 129 of 129 , Mar 6, 2008
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...>
        wrote:

        > "... of Illinois" (at Urbana/Champaign)

        Thanks - I was typing fast and my mind went blank. Alistair