Re: [XP] Disruptions

  • Donald Roby
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Beck" <kentb@e...> wrote:
      > Steve,
      >
      > I agree. I didn't intend to imply that the original discussion was not
      > valuable. It reminded me that design decisions are made while
      writing tests
      > as well as refactoring, so while test-after+refactoring might result in
      > flexible code it is a different beast than test-before+refactoring.
      It was
      > the subsequent diversion of the discussion that I found off-topic for my
      > understanding and application of XP. I'm sure there are groups for
      > discussing the nature of language and the nuances of word meanings.
      > Sincerely yours,
      >
      > Kent Beck
      > Three Rivers Institute

      Communication is a rather important facet of XP in my understanding.
      Language and the meaning of words being quite important in human
      communication, I don't see a disruption. A bit of a drift certainly,
      when you get to debating prescription versus description, but is it
      really a major problem?

      Further, much of the discussion ensued from disagreements over the
      meaning of the word "refactoring". I think the usage of that word
      specifically is very much on-topic, and have enjoyed watching the
      discussion. I plan to contribute my two cents to that thread, though
      I'm so late joining, it may be somewhat redundant.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        On Saturday, October 1, 2005, at 6:41:08 AM, Donald Roby wrote:

        > Communication is a rather important facet of XP in my understanding.
        > Language and the meaning of words being quite important in human
        > communication, I don't see a disruption. A bit of a drift certainly,
        > when you get to debating prescription versus description, but is it
        > really a major problem?

        Don ... I quite agree ...

        > Further, much of the discussion ensued from disagreements over the
        > meaning of the word "refactoring". I think the usage of that word
        > specifically is very much on-topic, and have enjoyed watching the
        > discussion. I plan to contribute my two cents to that thread, though
        > I'm so late joining, it may be somewhat redundant.

        ... when we discover disagreements on the use of key terms in our
        discipline, I think it's a good exercise to dig in and figure out
        what each of us is seeing and not seeing.

        For any topic here, some posters may be interested, and some may
        not. My advice to folks who would like to see more material of a
        given kind or style is to post more material of that kind, and to
        participate actively enough to continue to shape the discussion if
        it starts to get "off track" in their opinion.

        Discussions here do sometimes go more deeply into "the whichness of
        the why" than I personally care for, but I would not rule them out
        of bounds: I trust that they'll die on their own. I am inclined to
        moderate discussions that veer too strongly into the big three
        trouble topics, Religion, S*x, or Politics, or that get too
        acrimonious.

        Find the simple path to what works and follow it,
        always looking for a simpler path. -- Patrick D. Smith