Fwd: [pragprog] "Why I hate factories"

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>, at 9/30/2005 at 3:17 PM,
      hopes that you will find this interesting:

      Originally from: Ged Byrne <gedb@...>
      To: pragprog <pragprog@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, September 30, 2005, 2:43:14 PM
      Subject: [pragprog] "Why I hate factories"

      Ron says:

      Joel and I don't always agree, but this one's good!

      Great post on the Joel on Software forums by Benji Smith.

      "Let's pretend I've decided to build a spice rack.

      I've done small woodworking projects before, and I think I have a pretty
      good idea of what I need: some wood and a few basic tools: a tape measure, a
      saw, a level, and a hammer.

      If I were going to build a whole house, rather than just a spice rack, I'd
      still need a tape measure, a saw, a level, and a hammer (among other
      things).

      So I go to the hardware store to buy the tools, and I ask the sales clerk
      where I can find a hammer.

      "A hammer?" he asks. "Nobody really buys hammers anymore. They're kind of
      old fashioned."

      Surprised at this development, I ask him why."

      http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.219431.22

    • Andrew McDonagh
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        >Ron Jeffries posted a link to a very good story....

        brilliant!

      • Matt Secoske
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          haha! love that quote

          --
          Matt Secoske
          http://www.secosoft.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            Ron Jeffries wrote:
            > Joel and I don't always agree, but this one's good!

            Actually, Joel didn't write that post - Benji Smith did. Boy did it wrap
            up a lot of feelings I've had about frameworks and factories...

            Cory
          • Christophe Thibaut
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              Actually the very first sentence :

              "I'm currently in the planning stages of building a hosted Java web
              application (yes, it has to be Java, for a variety of reasons that I
              don't feel like going into right now). In the process, I'm evaluating a
              bunch of J2EE portlet-enabled JSR-compliant MVC role-based CMS web
              service application container frameworks."

              has got me rotfl. But the remaining dialog is quite funny too.

              Thank you for the link, Ron.
              Regards.