Re: [XP] Re: Documentation

    Message 1 of 105 , Sep 1, 2000
      At 03:53 PM 9/1/00 +0000, acockburn@... wrote:
      >What I get is that a true XP project that really generated clear code
      >and is lucky enough to keep at least 2 of its developers around
      >forever does not need documentation, but that PAP projects do need
      >documentation of some sort. "sort" to be determined.

      Kent's original question, which seems to have been pretty much ignored
      (with exceptions) inquired about real world situations where people
      actually had documentation _that_was_useful_ (emphasis mine).

      This thread is full of people who keep saying "of course we need
      documentation", but we have no data from the world indicating what
      documentation has ever been done that was in fact useful. We have had
      several people saying that they had documentation that _didn't_ help. The
      question is becoming whether it is possible to write helpful documentation.

      Or, we can just continue to do our best. I think Kent was trying to connect
      us back to facts. I could be wrong, I frequently am.

      Ronald E Jeffries
      http://www.XProgramming.com
      http://www.objectmentor.com
    • David H
      Message 105 of 105 , Sep 7, 2006
        Paul wrote:

        > so what's the benefit of DITA versus NDoc?

        There is none. Both do completely different things.
        Have a look at:

        http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/dita/index.jsp

        or

        http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita1/

        To better understand what the intent behind DITA is.
        Basically you are trying to single source _all_ documentation based on a
        topic structure. Thus being able to generate End user documentation and
        Technical documentation, developer documentation and so on, from the
        same source.

        -d