Accounting for the Value of incomplete work.

  • Tony Byrne
    Message 1 of 59 , Sep 29, 2005
      Hi Guys,

      We've been hitting against a contentious point in the tracking of our
      iterations and I was hoping someone here would help me to clear it up.

      We estimate our development work in ideal engineering days. Most of
      our stories are of the order of 1-3 IED. We don't always manage to
      deliver all of the stories that the team committed to during the
      planning. However, often we are very close to delivery, with typically
      a few hours work required to complete such a story.

      Now the rules as I understand them say that any story that wasn't
      completed within its iteration does not count towards the team's
      velocity for that iteration. However, there are objections from the
      team about this treatment of incomplete stories. Incomplete stories
      represent substantial developer effort and normally still deliver
      substantial value to the customer even in their incomplete state. In
      dismissing incomplete stories in the velocity calculation, we appear
      to be shortchanging the team. This seems to suggest that we
      acknowledge / track them somehow.

      Now my answer to this is that the 'team velocity' is a planning device
      that enables us to gauge the amount of work that can be safely
      committed to within an iteration, and yet something bugs us about how
      to represent incomplete stories, because after all it was development
      work effort realized.

      How is this generally handled in the wild?

      Regards,

      Tony.

      --
      Tony Byrne
    • Kay A. Pentecost
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 8, 2005
        Hi, Ramon, and Everybody,

        I'd like to apologize for being a little defensive and rude in the message
        you responded to.

        It doesn't do any good to be aware of verbal abuse if I'm going to abuse
        people with it. <wry smile>.

        Just for future reference, a "backhanded compliment" is not a compliment,
        but an insult that pretends to be an insult.

        Here's some examples:

        "You did really well on the test, for someone as stupid as you are."
        "That's a really pretty dress. It covers up your figure flaws."
        "Nice programming job. I wish you'd think that clearly more often."

        Kay Pentecost