RE: [XP] First time XP - 4 weeks in

  • Morris, Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
      > On the assumption that the rest of you are interested in
      > "tales from the
      > front",
      > here's the news from our first-time-semi-XP-project.

      Always ... thanks for the post.

      > The sceptics are complaining that we've spent too much effort on
      > infrastructure, that we could have
      > far more functionality done instead.

      It won't be too long before these 4 weeks are forgotten and the benefits of
      all the automation will last the rest of the project.

      I just recently automated my build process which was manually taking about
      45 minutes:

      1. Run Complete Test Suite
      2. Make sure everything is checked in.
      3. Check out each project file and increment the build no.
      4. Check in each project.
      5. Label source files with build number
      6. Move all source files from current folder to backup to ensure a clean
      build from VSS only.
      7. Get snapshot to current, empty folder.
      8. Build all binaries
      9. Re-run test suite
      10. Move binaries out to server, backing up previous build, renamed to
      include build number

      Automated the above takes about 5 minutes.

      We just burned a CD, gave the CD to the 'customer' to do some manual testing
      (no functional testing at the moment) ... found a bug in some code I tweaked
      without unit testing first (dumb). Now I'm unit testing the bug fix -- and I
      need to burn a new CD. Fortunately the new build will only take 5 minutes,
      not 45. It's been more than worth it the 2 days I took automating the build
      process.

      Chris
    • Arrizza, John
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
        > From: Morris, Chris [mailto:ChrisM@...]
        > 1. Run Complete Test Suite
        > 2. Make sure everything is checked in.
        > 3. Check out each project file and increment the build no.
        > 4. Check in each project.
        > 5. Label source files with build number
        > 6. Move all source files from current folder to backup to
        > ensure a clean
        > build from VSS only.
        > 7. Get snapshot to current, empty folder.
        > 8. Build all binaries
        > 9. Re-run test suite
        > 10. Move binaries out to server, backing up previous build, renamed to
        > include build number
        very nice. Just a question on why do #1?
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
          At 08:51 AM 9/1/00 -0400, Arrizza, John wrote:
          >very nice. Just a question on why do #1?

          One reason is to be sure that you are starting from a clean build that
          still runs the tests. It's really irritating to have the tests fail, assume
          it's your fault, dig dig dig, then discover that they wouldn't have run
          WITHOUT your code. Even on C3, this happened once in a while.

          Ronald E Jeffries
          http://www.XProgramming.com
          http://www.objectmentor.com
        • Morris, Chris
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2000
            > very nice.

            Thanks.

            > Just a question on why do #1?

            What Ron said is good. I'm not on a team at the moment so my primary reason
            is to catch any stupid bugs before I check in my source code into VSS. It's
            just a minor hassle to go through the check in process (I copy my check in
            comments into a buildlog.txt file), then run the full test suite to see,
            oops! I forgot such-n-such.

            Chris