Re: [XP] First time XP - 4 weeks in

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
      At 10:22 PM 9/1/00 +1200, Sean Higgins wrote:
      >More next time. Hope this helps, and feedback/guidance/wisdom as usual
      >always welcome.

      Very good start! Love the automation, wish I had it on my machine at home.
      Maybe I can learn something about CVS and Python by trying to replicate it.

      Keep us posted, and good luck!

      Ronald E Jeffries
      http://www.XProgramming.com
      http://www.objectmentor.com
    • Morris, Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
        > On the assumption that the rest of you are interested in
        > "tales from the
        > front",
        > here's the news from our first-time-semi-XP-project.

        Always ... thanks for the post.

        > The sceptics are complaining that we've spent too much effort on
        > infrastructure, that we could have
        > far more functionality done instead.

        It won't be too long before these 4 weeks are forgotten and the benefits of
        all the automation will last the rest of the project.

        I just recently automated my build process which was manually taking about
        45 minutes:

        1. Run Complete Test Suite
        2. Make sure everything is checked in.
        3. Check out each project file and increment the build no.
        4. Check in each project.
        5. Label source files with build number
        6. Move all source files from current folder to backup to ensure a clean
        build from VSS only.
        7. Get snapshot to current, empty folder.
        8. Build all binaries
        9. Re-run test suite
        10. Move binaries out to server, backing up previous build, renamed to
        include build number

        Automated the above takes about 5 minutes.

        We just burned a CD, gave the CD to the 'customer' to do some manual testing
        (no functional testing at the moment) ... found a bug in some code I tweaked
        without unit testing first (dumb). Now I'm unit testing the bug fix -- and I
        need to burn a new CD. Fortunately the new build will only take 5 minutes,
        not 45. It's been more than worth it the 2 days I took automating the build
        process.

        Chris
      • Arrizza, John
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
          > From: Morris, Chris [mailto:ChrisM@...]
          > 1. Run Complete Test Suite
          > 2. Make sure everything is checked in.
          > 3. Check out each project file and increment the build no.
          > 4. Check in each project.
          > 5. Label source files with build number
          > 6. Move all source files from current folder to backup to
          > ensure a clean
          > build from VSS only.
          > 7. Get snapshot to current, empty folder.
          > 8. Build all binaries
          > 9. Re-run test suite
          > 10. Move binaries out to server, backing up previous build, renamed to
          > include build number
          very nice. Just a question on why do #1?
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
            At 08:51 AM 9/1/00 -0400, Arrizza, John wrote:
            >very nice. Just a question on why do #1?

            One reason is to be sure that you are starting from a clean build that
            still runs the tests. It's really irritating to have the tests fail, assume
            it's your fault, dig dig dig, then discover that they wouldn't have run
            WITHOUT your code. Even on C3, this happened once in a while.

            Ronald E Jeffries
            http://www.XProgramming.com
            http://www.objectmentor.com
          • Morris, Chris
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2000
              > very nice.

              Thanks.

              > Just a question on why do #1?

              What Ron said is good. I'm not on a team at the moment so my primary reason
              is to catch any stupid bugs before I check in my source code into VSS. It's
              just a minor hassle to go through the check in process (I copy my check in
              comments into a buildlog.txt file), then run the full test suite to see,
              oops! I forgot such-n-such.

              Chris