Re: [XP] Re: Mechanics of big refactorings with CVS.

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      At 08:03 AM 9/1/00 +0200, cg@... wrote:
      >But you integrate when you're ready with the task, not every 30 minutes.
      >Integration is done on the trunk (main branch) in a serialized fashion
      >just as you describe. In my opinion, branches are perfectly suited to
      >serve as a backup mechanism where you can save your work often during
      >the task (the stuff you used to do in the old days by copying your
      >source code to a "sav" subdirectory, or something like that).

      Ah. Yes. Do find a way to save your code any time you think you might want
      to go back. A branch is probably your best bet for that.

      ENVY, where I come from, allows me to version anything under my name. When
      I want to make it be part of the real thing, I load the thing with my name
      on it (from your branch, equivalently) and release it (release it to the
      main thread in your mode).

      Trim the branches often. Integrating every thirty minutes is probably too
      often. Twice a day probably isn't. IMO of course.

      Ronald E Jeffries
      http://www.XProgramming.com
      http://www.objectmentor.com