Re: [XP] Mechanics of big refactorings with CVS.

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2000
      At 10:42 PM 8/31/00 -0600, Jim Little wrote:
      >Assuming you're using an integration machine, and you aren't branching, how
      >do you get the code from a developer's workstation to the integration
      >machine so you can do the merge and checkin?

      I don't use CVS, or languages that have to be linked. So bear with me.

      In ENVY, we just versioned our classes, logged in as ourselves on the
      integration machine, loaded the current release, loaded our versions,
      tested, released.

      In CVS can this translate into something like this?
      - empty a "new stuff" directory on the integration machine
      - put our new stuff in "new stuff"
      - make the system, preferring whatever is in "new stuff" to the
      repository
      - run the tests
      - release whatever is in "new stuff" to CVS

      Ronald E Jeffries
      http://www.XProgramming.com
      http://www.objectmentor.com
    • cg@cdegroot.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2000
        Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> said:
        >I don't use CVS, or languages that have to be linked. So bear with me.

        It's rather the other way around (I'm jealous...)

        >In CVS can this translate into something like this?
        > - empty a "new stuff" directory on the integration machine
        > - put our new stuff in "new stuff"
        > - make the system, preferring whatever is in "new stuff" to the
        >repository
        > - run the tests
        > - release whatever is in "new stuff" to CVS

        Have your work on a branch, go to the integration machine, update the
        trunk (shouldn't be necessary - it's the latest version anyway), merge
        in the branch, run the tests, commit.

        I'm getting obnoxious, I know, but I can't stand people disagreeing
        with me ;-)

        --
        Cees de Groot http://www.cdegroot.com <cg@...>
        GnuPG 1024D/E0989E8B 0016 F679 F38D 5946 4ECD 1986 F303 937F E098 9E8B
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2000
          At 07:00 PM 9/1/00 +0200, cg@... wrote:
          >Have your work on a branch, go to the integration machine, update the
          >trunk (shouldn't be necessary - it's the latest version anyway), merge
          >in the branch, run the tests, commit.
          >
          >I'm getting obnoxious, I know, but I can't stand people disagreeing
          >with me ;-)

          I'm not disagreeing with you any more, you tiny fool! If the only purpose
          of the branch is to hold the pair's code available for backup, I'm agreeing.

          Quit disagreeing when I'm agreeing! ;->

          Ronald E Jeffries
          http://www.XProgramming.com
          http://www.objectmentor.com
        • Peter Booth
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2000
            I have found that a combination of Visual Age for Java Professional
            edition with CVS removes the need for branching. With VAJ I get
            a local Envy repository for free and I will commit at the end of every day
            and usually a few times during the day.

            The occasional merge can be painful.

            Peter