Re: [XP] About Definitions

    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 26, 2005
      On Monday, September 26, 2005, at 9:27:49 AM, yahoogroups@... wrote:

      > The bowling game issue we're looking at, however, is a quite
      > different matter. In the real world, bowlers will explain scoring
      > both ways. It depends on the particular bowler. The formal
      > rules state it one way, but the other way is a perfectly valid
      > way of looking at the situation. It's simply a matter of perspective,
      > and some bowlers are more comfortable with one way, some
      > are more comfortable with the other.

      I'm not so sure. I've /never/ seen a bowler say that the game is
      scored by adding up pairs and occasionally triples of numbers. I've
      seen /programmers/ recognize that the formulation is equivalent but
      have never had anyone at all say that it looked like bowling. If you
      think it looks like bowling, you're the first person I've ever had
      say that.

      > The alternative formulation is not an accidental feature. It's
      > not going to change unless the official rules change.

      Well, that's true for any refactoring of anything: it won't change
      unless the requirements change. I don't know whether the formulation
      is "accidental" or not, but the fact that it won't change doesn't
      increase its value in my eyes.

      You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers