Re: [XP] Re: Mechanics of big refactorings with CVS.

  • cg@cdegroot.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2000
      [if people think I'm starting to whine, complain]

      John Brewer <jbrewer@...> said:
      >XP uses an integration machine (or sometimes an integration token) to
      >make sure that only one pair is checking in at a time. So you may
      >have to reconcile your code with the top of the tree, but only once.
      >Then the pair in line behind you resolves their code with the new top
      >of the tree, and so on. No muss, no fuss, no branches.

      But you integrate when you're ready with the task, not every 30 minutes.
      Integration is done on the trunk (main branch) in a serialized fashion
      just as you describe. In my opinion, branches are perfectly suited to
      serve as a backup mechanism where you can save your work often during
      the task (the stuff you used to do in the old days by copying your
      source code to a "sav" subdirectory, or something like that).

      --
      Cees de Groot http://www.cdegroot.com <cg@...>
      GnuPG 1024D/E0989E8B 0016 F679 F38D 5946 4ECD 1986 F303 937F E098 9E8B
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        At 08:03 AM 9/1/00 +0200, cg@... wrote:
        >But you integrate when you're ready with the task, not every 30 minutes.
        >Integration is done on the trunk (main branch) in a serialized fashion
        >just as you describe. In my opinion, branches are perfectly suited to
        >serve as a backup mechanism where you can save your work often during
        >the task (the stuff you used to do in the old days by copying your
        >source code to a "sav" subdirectory, or something like that).

        Ah. Yes. Do find a way to save your code any time you think you might want
        to go back. A branch is probably your best bet for that.

        ENVY, where I come from, allows me to version anything under my name. When
        I want to make it be part of the real thing, I load the thing with my name
        on it (from your branch, equivalently) and release it (release it to the
        main thread in your mode).

        Trim the branches often. Integrating every thirty minutes is probably too
        often. Twice a day probably isn't. IMO of course.

        Ronald E Jeffries
        http://www.XProgramming.com
        http://www.objectmentor.com