Re: [XP] Integration Tokens -- What are People Using?

  • cg@cdegroot.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2000
      John Brewer <jbrewer@...> said:
      >So, what are people using for integration tokens? So far I've heard
      >of someone using a Furby, and someone else using a Pokemon doll.
      >Anyone using anything else?

      In both instances it was me trying to be funny in selecting possible
      candidates - the next one would be a SuperSoaker XP filled with beer.

      Shoot me, but we actually use a global lock in the CVS repository
      (among others, this has to do with the fact that our housing is bad -
      we're split across two floors :-().

      --
      Cees de Groot http://www.cdegroot.com <cg@...>
      GnuPG 1024D/E0989E8B 0016 F679 F38D 5946 4ECD 1986 F303 937F E098 9E8B
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2000
        Don Wells <xplist@...> said:
        >A Computer. But you don't pass it around, you occupy it.

        We are on a Unix timesharing system with terminals (nowadays, that's
        called a Solarix box with SunRays, but the principle is the same). I
        thought that this would make the computer-as-integration-token idea
        invalid, but maybe you could just stick "Integration Workstation" on
        one of the monitors...

        Anything special with A Computer that makes it the token? Or is it
        just a convention?

        --
        Cees de Groot http://www.cdegroot.com <cg@...>
        GnuPG 1024D/E0989E8B 0016 F679 F38D 5946 4ECD 1986 F303 937F E098 9E8B
        Forge your CipherSaber and list it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/
      • Chris Berry
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
          We use also use a CVS "Integration token". For us this is a just a file
          named IntegrationToken that sits at the top of the CVS tree. This *file* is
          locked/unlocked.
          Note that there is nothing that physically prevents anyone else from working
          on CVS while this file is locked. Its simply a convention. I like this
          system because no one is prevented from doing sane things on CVS while
          someone else is integrating (diff-ing files, grabbing older versions of
          files, etc). For us, integration is relatively time consuming -- rebuilding
          and re-running all of the Tests takes around 25 minutes (assuming there are
          no Conflicts).

          Cheers,
          -- Chris