XP and *my* boss ;)

  • laurent.bossavit@agencebless.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2000
      I will be providing more details of the XP project I'm now part of,
      which I can't do right away because I have TooMuchToDo; but I just
      had to share this... I had a truly nice "extreme" moment yesterday.

      My boss (who happens to be my Customer - GoldOwner rather
      than GoalDonor, but occasionally gives some input in the latter
      role) was having a look at the first delivery of the project (about 8
      UserStories). I'd just warned him that since I am for the moment
      the only coder in the team I wouldn't be able to demonstrate all the
      XP benefits and probably still would have some bad code. I've only
      "sold" XP to the firm a couple weeks ago, there has been some
      enthusiasm about it, but I'm still anxious; early days yet - and it's
      my first XP experience as well as the firm's.

      I was demonstrating a feature that relied on some XML file that
      represents some state of an object. I made the appropriate change
      to the file, and... nothing happened. Oh yeah; I needed to restart
      the application server. Boss: "Why do you need to restart it ?" Me:
      "Um... Let me look at the code; yeah : this class uses the Factory
      pattern and instance caching to make only one instance of itself for
      each XML file. I was going to add code that looked at the file
      modification date and reloaded it if it had changed, but I figured I
      wasn't going to need that." Boss : "But why did you use instance
      caching in the first place - if you delete these few lines of code it
      will just create a new instance and read the file each time, right ?"

      Ouch. Caught in the act ! Me: "You're right. I wasn't paying
      attention; that was a premature optimization. Hopefully when we
      start doing pairs this will happen less often." (Whew. Wormed my
      way out of this one.)