Re: Random XP episode

  • John Brewer
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Kevin Smith <sent@q...> wrote:
      > Right off the bat, my testability requirement changed the design.
      If
      > didn't need to test this thing, I would have just parsed each file
      line
      > as I read it in. But I wanted to be able to pass in hard-coded test
      > strings, so my parser had to operate on a string [C++] rather than
      > file.

      I had the same experience with the Java code I wrote about in
      http://www.egroups.com/message/extremeprogramming/11021

      It helped to have recently read "The Pragmatic Programmer". In it,
      Mssrs Hunt and Thomas have an exercise pondering whether a
      string-based interface or a stream-based interface is more general.
      It didn't make a lot of sense at the time, but it left me open to the
      possibility the next time I was coding.

      John Brewer
      Jera Design
    • fah@potm.lz.att.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
        Thanks for the mention ... all are welcome ... check out
        the message board as well ...
        =Fred (the POTM-Master)

        http://www.sitepowerup.com/mb/view.asp?BoardID=100152
        http://members.tripod.com/~POTM/