Re: [XP] Re: XP in 40 words

  • Jim Little
    Message 1 of 105 , Aug 31, 2000
      From: <acockburn@...>

      > <<Would someone here please tell a story of when the documents they
      > needed deep in maintenance were there and accurate and helpful?
      > >>

      > Please let's separate accurate from helpful. I think documentation
      > (and I do restrict this to written documents) can be helpful even
      > when it is not strictly accurate. I believe
      > (a) we can collect stories of when documentation of various sorts
      > were helpful,
      > while I believe
      > (b) it is a rare day when we can collect a story of documentation
      > that was "accurate". And that most of those few stories relate to
      > automagically generated documentation, as opposed to distinctly
      > created documentation.

      As I mentioned in another post, I once tried to refactor gcc. Its
      documentation was there, accurate (as far as I could tell), and helpful.

      But except for the 3-page architectural overview, I would have traded all of
      that documentation for cleaner, better-organized code.

      Jim
    • David H
      Message 105 of 105 , Sep 7, 2006
        Paul wrote:

        > so what's the benefit of DITA versus NDoc?

        There is none. Both do completely different things.
        Have a look at:

        http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/dita/index.jsp

        or

        http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita1/

        To better understand what the intent behind DITA is.
        Basically you are trying to single source _all_ documentation based on a
        topic structure. Thus being able to generate End user documentation and
        Technical documentation, developer documentation and so on, from the
        same source.

        -d