Designing a system with embedded components

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2005
      Although I avoid big design up front, I do enjoy thinking about
      architecture and how much it's possible to do incrementally. I came
      across an interesting challenge that I thought the group might enjoy
      chewing on. It's a company called NextBus that provides real-time
      transit information via the web, mobile devices, and LED signs. Here's
      how it works:

      http://www.nextbus.com/corporate/works/

      Some of their software runs in their data center. Some runs on consumer
      devices. And some runs on embedded hardware that they design. That runs
      most of the ease-of-change spectrum. Things I've been wondering about:

      * How, if at all, does the right proportion of DUF change across
      their products?
      * How would you change story order to force design evolution on the
      embedded gear before you ship it?
      * How would the differing ease of change alter your decisions about
      what systems were responsible for which work?

      I'm not looking for any particular answers here, but I'm finding it a
      very interesting problem to consider.

      William