Re: [XP] Teach or sell (was: Review of chapters 1 and 9 of /The Experience Economy/ by Pine & Gilmore)

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2005
      Steven J. Owens wrote:

      > The theater tie-in comes when you consider that the way the
      > transformation is accomplished is by walking the participants through
      > the process, i.e. "staging" as in putting on a play, much as a truly
      > great piece of theatrical art is supposed to transform the audience
      > member.

      Way. The bulk of /The Experience Economy/ is about _theater_. How sales
      representatives, promoters, champions, and evangelists are people with
      _scripts_, who rehearse, dress up, set stages, and perform on them. We have
      all seen this, from an onsite consultant's opening lectures, to the endless
      writing and blogging, to the free software with immaculate internal designs.
      It's all a performance to provide an experience, and in our case the
      experience forms a series that transforms.

      (The book covers Transformations in 1/2 chapter. If any of the experienced
      transformers here are looking for a book idea that would rise _above_ "the
      book version of a popular page on Ward's Wiki" pitch, they might write /The
      Transformation Economy/ for us. I'd buy!)

      >> Should we teach the clients how to program?

      Yes, for free. Try this: My wife is a little too nervous about the ol'
      career arc. So I spent today doing the "pair programming with an acolyte to
      retrofit tests into a legacy situation" thing. This is old hat for everyone
      here, but not for the missus.

      I cellphone her from the train station to debrief, and she's like, "But you
      wrote the tests yourself, right? You are not [nervous tremble] teaching
      /them/ to write the tests?" She thinks the test cases are the product.

      Can I help but have fun with it? "No dear, I taught my colleague how to
      write the tests. That's so that in just a few weeks the boss will say to me
      'okay, thanks. we know how to write tests now. later!'"

      Jeeze some transformations are harder than others, huh?

      > While I don't think Phlip meant to apply this transformation
      > metaphor to normal programming or consulting, it might be useful
      > anyway.

      Heck, I think it's a good definition for the distinction _between_
      programming and consulting!

      --
      Phlip