Re: [XP] Unit Test Primitives

  • Simon A. Crase
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2000
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries@...>
      To: <extremeprogramming@egroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 9:12 PM
      Subject: Re: [XP] Unit Test Primitives

      > At 04:24 PM 8/31/00 +1000, Simon A. Crase wrote:
      > > > I think with HTML, I'd proably convert the files into lists of tokens
      and
      > > > compare the corresponding token items.
      > >Hmm - we're doing XHTML, so maybe we should parse & compare the trees.
      It
      > >would make it very easy to see where the failure occurred. Thanks for
      the
      > >idea.
      >
      > How did we get from needing to quickly see that there was an error to
      > creating parse trees for our HTML. Do we have a card for this?
      Partly association of ideas - "token" reminded me that we have a few XML
      parsers running around, and , as I said, we are doing XHTML, not just HTML.
      I want the tests to pinpoint problems as quickly as possible - and the
      non-validation parser would quickly allow us to sort out:
      1. Utter crud - we don't have valid tokens.
      2. Violations of well-formedness.

      But you're right, there should be a card. "The test passes iff: the XHTML
      is well formed, and the generated code looks the same - once it has been
      rendered on the browser - as the target XHTML in the file."

      Cheers,

      Simon
    • Michael Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 2000
        [munch]

        > > How did we get from needing to quickly see that there was an error to
        > > creating parse trees for our HTML. Do we have a card for this?\

        [munch]

        > But you're right, there should be a card. "The test passes iff: the XHTML
        > is well formed, and the generated code looks the same - once it has been
        > rendered on the browser - as the target XHTML in the file."

        GIWIST!
      • Simon A. Crase
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 31, 2000