RE: [XP] Re: XP in 40 words

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 105 , Aug 31, 2000
      First comment, Alistair. Your two goals are still firmly in the "software
      development as manufacturing" paradigm. The primary goal for my teams is not
      to get the software into production. That is a trivial goal, requiring only
      the courage to put few enough features into the first release.

      From my perspective, it sounds like you are saying, "The primary goal of
      gardening is to plant the garden. The secondary goal is harvesting. If you
      don't achieve the primary goal, the secondary goal is impossible." The goal
      of software development is 1) returning the business' investment and 2)
      helping the business learn faster than they would without the software. This
      is a process that should last for years in most cases.

      "And the other part to get is that producing documentation for the
      next game is an activity that competes for resources with producing
      the running system. I.e., the two, resource-competitive activities
      need to run and managed as such."

      Would someone here please tell a story of when the documents they needed
      deep in maintenance were there and accurate and helpful? I believe that
      preparing for the "next game" by writing documents is an illusion, a cargo
      cult. I assume that writing documents to enable maintenance is against the
      laws of nature, that the documents are never there. Now what- clean code,
      comprehensive tests, and a social structure that tends to preserve the most
      important information for as long as possible.

      Kent
    • David H
      Message 105 of 105 , Sep 7, 2006
        Paul wrote:

        > so what's the benefit of DITA versus NDoc?

        There is none. Both do completely different things.
        Have a look at:

        http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/dita/index.jsp

        or

        http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita1/

        To better understand what the intent behind DITA is.
        Basically you are trying to single source _all_ documentation based on a
        topic structure. Thus being able to generate End user documentation and
        Technical documentation, developer documentation and so on, from the
        same source.

        -d