Re: [XP] Digest Number 5280

  • Robert Watkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2005
      Brad Appleton wrote:

      > 5) Branch on release to control customer changes
      >

      >Not entirely sure about this one. I think that's less likely to be an
      >axior or principle and more likely to be a pattern that tries to
      >balance/tradeoff one or more principles for a particular problem+context.

      The need to branch on release is proportional to the difference in time
      between putting out a patch and putting out a whole new release. If you
      can spin out the release just as quickly, do that instead - then you
      don't have to branch.

      Some teams can pull this off, others can't. YMMV.

      --
      "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
      Robert Watkins http://twasink.net/ robertdw@...