RE: Teaching OOP Was: Not Good Enough for Agile?

  • Noel Welsh
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
      Tony Nassar wrote:

      > This entire thread has been very unusual and
      > interesting. I wonder if anyone knows of more systematic
      > treatments of the problem of *teaching* OOP (i.e.,
      > references to books, journals, etc.). I don't know
      Scheme,
      > but I'd be willing to learn if it gave me a different
      > perspective on how to teach than the one I probably
      retain
      > from my undergrad years (Wayne State '84, BSCS).

      Well I'm biased and think everyone should learn Scheme.
      However there are a few other resources that don't
      necessarily require learning Scheme:

      For a start How to Design Class Hierarchies uses Java,
      assuming students who have already taken How to Design
      Programs using Scheme (btw, HtDP is online:
      http://www.htdp.org/)

      There are many publications explaining the philosophy
      behind
      the course:

      http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/

      In particular:

      The Structure and Interpretation of the Computer Science
      Curriculum

      The TeachScheme! Project: Computing and Programming for
      Every Student

      http://www.teach-scheme.org/

      The other big undergraduate education project I know of is
      BlueJ, which uses Java:

      http://www.bluej.org/

      BlueJ has a very similar philosophy to the TeachScheme
      project. I tend to agree with my buddy Matt that Scheme is
      a superior introductory language to Java:

      http://www.cs-ed.org/blogs/mjadud/archives/2003/09/my_first_progra.html

      I also believe the BlueJ curriculum doesn't have any
      equivalent to the TeachScheme design recipes.

      CTM is the final project I'm aware of that is innovating in
      undergrad introductory education:

      http://www2.info.ucl.ac.be/people/PVR/book.html

      The book, CTM, is well worth reading. They don't seem to
      have as developed a philosophy and curriculum as
      TeachScheme
      and BlueJ.

      I know the guys behind TeachScheme and I'm sure they'd be
      happy to field further questions about their work.

      Cheers,
      Noel

      AIM: noelhwelsh
      Blogs: http://monospaced.blogspot.com/ http://www.untyped.com/untyping/