Re: [XP] Refactor with mercy.

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 1 5:53 PM
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip2005@g...>
      wrote:

      > Per XPX 1st Edition, if a pair can think of a way to improve
      > something, they are "required" to try it.

      I think we can improve the number of features we deliver if we do the
      following:
      quit refactoring code that truly is good enough.
      quit refactoring code that has nothing to do with this iteration.
      quit refactoring code just because we learned something new this week
      quit looking for sections of code to refactor just because we like
      refactoring.

      Try it. It might improve XP.
      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 14 4:14 PM
        On Wednesday, September 14, 2005, at 5:28:27 PM, Jeff Grigg wrote:

        > I've heard of teams that get into refactoring wars -- first going
        > one way, and then the other. The warring parties need to talk to
        > each other. Maybe they need to agree on something, and establish a
        > coding standard.

        I've heard of this in the urban legend sense. Never seen it really
        happen beyond a cycle or two around the loop. Anyone else?

        No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...