Growth & Autocratic Structures (Was Re: Resistance to XP (was : New blog entry: The XP Oath )

  • Sharon Villines
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Aug 31, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 10:30:52 AM, Sharon Villines wrote:
      >
      >> Growth is a false goal. Many companies try to get bigger or go faster
      >> instead of understanding how to adapt to change and get smarter.
      >
      > I was thinking about that the other day, when a perfectly good
      > company here in town got acquired by some giant acquisition machine.
      > I was wondering why that was going to be better for anyone, the
      > customers, the employees of either company ... anyone.
      >
      >> Autocratic structures tend to only focus on "more". Sociocratic
      >> structures focus on adapting (changing) and getting smarter. And being
      >> happy.
      >
      > I wonder why that would be. Have you some notions?

      An excellent question with probably a million answers depending on
      whether you look at it psychologically or sociologically or
      anthropologically or mechanically, etc.

      One thing autocratic structures do is ensure that the person who sets
      the aims and requirements is not the same person who has to fulfill
      them. This puts the locus of decision-making outside the "feeling"
      center. It separates the gut feeling from the economic need. It also
      reduces life to an economic need. To reduce frustration, people go to
      work recognizing that all they are working for is money. In the end,
      this becomes true, for those at the top as well as those as the bottom
      of an autocratic hierarchy.

      When life is reduced to numbers, success is defined as bigger numbers.

      Numbers are the easiest things to boast with. When you have lost or
      were never given the ability to just be happy, you can console yourself
      by thinking that you have the best numbers. Cholesterol, weight, length
      of life, money. It used to be the number of children. How many cars? A
      house with how many square feet?

      Basketball would be a whole different game without numbers. Probably
      more fun to play and less fun to watch. Autocrats may be watchers.

      Corporate mergers give the illusion of success when it cannot be found
      in other ways. Often it seems to have replaced war as THE game for the
      big boys. It certainly makes no intrinsic sense. And like war it isn't
      good for people or products or communities.

      Sharon
      ----
      Sharon Villines
      Coauthor with John Buck of the forthcoming
      Dynamic Governance: Sociocratic Principles and Methods for Creating
      Inclusive, Accountable, Productive, and Self-Correcting Organizations.
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 3, 2005
        On Thursday, September 1, 2005, at 10:24:18 AM, Sharon Villines wrote:

        > Basketball would be a whole different game without numbers. Probably
        > more fun to play and less fun to watch. Autocrats may be watchers.

        Interesting theory ...

        > Corporate mergers give the illusion of success when it cannot be found
        > in other ways. Often it seems to have replaced war as THE game for the
        > big boys. It certainly makes no intrinsic sense. And like war it isn't
        > good for people or products or communities.

        Yes. The things we do are very odd, it seems to me.

        Speculation or experimentation - which is more likely to give the correct answer?