Re: [XP] Refactor with mercy.

  • Michael Feathers
    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 1, 2005
      Ken Boucher wrote:

      >--- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip2005@g...> wrote:

      >>>code.
      >>>
      >>>Or realize the code is, truly, good enough and add a new feature
      >>>instead.
      >>>

      >>Dude, the city of New Orleans is under about 20 feet of water right now.
      >>
      >>Ordinarily it's only a few inches below average sea level. Either way the
      >>situation is no longer tenable.
      >>

      >And anyone who refactored the city a month ago was clearly wasting their time.

      Not necessarily true. Does moving to a new house make all of the
      'making of your bed' and 'washing dishes' that you did at the old house
      a waste of time?

      Michael Feathers
      author, Working Effectively with Legacy Code (Prentice Hall 2005)
      www.objectmentor.com
      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 14, 2005
        On Wednesday, September 14, 2005, at 5:28:27 PM, Jeff Grigg wrote:

        > I've heard of teams that get into refactoring wars -- first going
        > one way, and then the other. The warring parties need to talk to
        > each other. Maybe they need to agree on something, and establish a
        > coding standard.

        I've heard of this in the urban legend sense. Never seen it really
        happen beyond a cycle or two around the loop. Anyone else?

        No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...