Re: [XP] Refactor with mercy.

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 30, 2005
      Ken Boucher wrote:

      >> Refactor without mercy to improve the communicative ability of the
      > code.
      >
      > Or realize the code is, truly, good enough and add a new feature
      > instead.

      Dude, the city of New Orleans is under about 20 feet of water right now.

      Ordinarily it's only a few inches below average sea level. Either way the
      situation is no longer tenable.

      Moving the friggin' city is not "zealotry", it is reacting to incremental
      changes by getting ahead of all of them. The move is required, and if done
      right it will prolong the time until the next move.

      --
      Phlip
      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 14, 2005
        On Wednesday, September 14, 2005, at 5:28:27 PM, Jeff Grigg wrote:

        > I've heard of teams that get into refactoring wars -- first going
        > one way, and then the other. The warring parties need to talk to
        > each other. Maybe they need to agree on something, and establish a
        > coding standard.

        I've heard of this in the urban legend sense. Never seen it really
        happen beyond a cycle or two around the loop. Anyone else?

        No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...