Build indicator lamp

  • Mark Striebeck
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm considering installing a lamp that indicates our build status.
      Because our group is very big and we don't have ONE big space, we need
      several of them. The ambient orb that I (and others) used before is a
      little steep ($150) if you need several. Does anyone know a cheaper
      alternative?

      Thanks
      MarkS
    • Ken Boucher
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005
        > I'm considering installing a lamp that indicates our build status.
        > Because our group is very big and we don't have ONE big space, we need
        > several of them. The ambient orb that I (and others) used before is a
        > little steep ($150) if you need several. Does anyone know a cheaper
        > alternative?
        >
        > Thanks
        > MarkS

        We're using Carlon remote light switches.
        http://www.carlonchimes.com/light-remotes-switches.htm

        Basicly, we have the on/off remote attached to the release box with
        velco. Each of the various indicator lights (a glowing alien skill, a
        blue K-mart special flashing light) gets turned on/offby a single push
        of a button.

        Range might be an issue, but the price is very reasonable.
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005
          On Monday, August 29, 2005, at 12:50:14 PM, Mark Striebeck wrote:

          > I'm considering installing a lamp that indicates our build status.
          > Because our group is very big and we don't have ONE big space, we need
          > several of them. The ambient orb that I (and others) used before is a
          > little steep ($150) if you need several. Does anyone know a cheaper
          > alternative?

          Lava lamps at $10 at your local Walmart or equivalent. X-10 power
          lines transmission modules, one per lamp, and one X-10 transmitter
          that connects to your computer's serial port.

          I think this may be written up in Mike Clark's new book ... but not
          sure and don't have it here in front of me. Anyway, it's more fun to
          figure it out, I'd bet.

          No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...
        • Chris Wheeler
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005

            > 'm considering installing a lamp that indicates our build status.
            > Because our group is very big and we don't have ONE big space, we need
            > several of them. The ambient orb that I (and others) used before is a
            > little steep ($150) if you need several. Does anyone know a cheaper
            > alternative?

            We use X10 controllers and Christmas lights - a green string and a red
            string. You can see them all across the third floor of our building.

            Chris.
          • Jeffrey Fredrick
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005
              On 8/29/05, Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:

              > I'm considering installing a lamp that indicates our build status.
              > Because our group is very big and we don't have ONE big space, we need
              > several of them. The ambient orb that I (and others) used before is a
              > little steep ($150) if you need several. Does anyone know a cheaper
              > alternative?

              lava lamps & x10.

              if using CruiseControl there is now an X10 Publisher which is handy:

              http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/main/configxml.html#x10

              alternatively can use a process that looks at your status page and
              sends an x10 signal based on that. handy if you have people in a
              separate building from your ci server.

              Jtf

              --

              http://www.developertesting.com/
            • Jeffrey Fredrick
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005

                > I think this may be written up in Mike Clark's new book ... but not
                > sure and don't have it here in front of me. Anyway, it's more fun to
                > figure it out, I'd bet.

                yup, he covers it in Pragmatic Project Automation, but also on the
                blog for the book:

                http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2DC62A29

                Jtf

                --

                http://www.developertesting.com/
              • Keith Braithwaite
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Mark Striebeck
                  <mark.striebeck@g...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I'm considering installing a lamp that indicates our build status.
                  > Because our group is very big and we don't have ONE big space, we need
                  > several of them. The ambient orb that I (and others) used before is a
                  > little steep ($150) if you need several. Does anyone know a cheaper
                  > alternative?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > MarkS

                  When we looked at this those pager globe things weren't avilable
                  outside the US, and alternative solutions (USB controller or whatever)
                  looked like work. So what happened was that one of our Flash-competent
                  developers wrote an animation of a lava lamp which makes itself red or
                  green depending on the current build status. This is displayed on any
                  spare monitor in a dev room (of which we have four, around the world).

                  Keith
                • Ilja Preuss
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                    > When we looked at this those pager globe things weren't
                    > avilable outside the US, and alternative solutions (USB
                    > controller or whatever) looked like work. So what happened
                    > was that one of our Flash-competent developers wrote an
                    > animation of a lava lamp which makes itself red or green
                    > depending on the current build status. This is displayed on
                    > any spare monitor in a dev room (of which we have four, around the
                    > world).

                    I think this isn't really a good replacement for true lava lamps. But if it
                    works for you...

                    The cool thing is, once you've a generic solution to control electrical
                    outlets by your build server, you can do all kinds of things with it. Today,
                    we don't only have lava lamps, but also a traffic light (we are moving into
                    a bigger team room) and a "cruisemas tree" for the end of the year. A
                    software animation sounds really lame in contrast... ;)

                    Cheers, Ilja
                  • Andrew McDonagh
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                      Keith Braithwaite wrote:

                      >--- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Mark Striebeck
                      ><mark.striebeck@g...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>Hi,
                      >>
                      >>I'm considering installing a lamp that indicates our build status.
                      >>Because our group is very big and we don't have ONE big space, we need
                      >>several of them. The ambient orb that I (and others) used before is a
                      >>little steep ($150) if you need several. Does anyone know a cheaper
                      >>alternative?
                      >>
                      >>Thanks
                      >> MarkS
                      >>

                      >When we looked at this those pager globe things weren't avilable
                      >outside the US, and alternative solutions (USB controller or whatever)
                      >looked like work. So what happened was that one of our Flash-competent
                      >developers wrote an animation of a lava lamp which makes itself red or
                      >green depending on the current build status. This is displayed on any
                      >spare monitor in a dev room (of which we have four, around the world).
                      >
                      >Keith

                      The guys from eXoftware do something similar only there monitor is next
                      to the coffee machine and fridge - so everyone sees when the build is
                      broken.

                      Extreme Visibility

                    • Greg Akins
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                        --- Andrew McDonagh
                        <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                        > The guys from eXoftware do something similar only
                        > there monitor is next
                        > to the coffee machine and fridge - so everyone sees
                        > when the build is
                        > broken.

                        So build a fingerprint scanner/access control into the
                        fridge, and use "blame" from version control so
                        whoever broke the build can't open the fridge;')
                      • Jeffrey Fredrick
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                          On 8/31/05, Andrew McDonagh <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                          > The guys from eXoftware do something similar only there monitor is next
                          > to the coffee machine and fridge - so everyone sees when the build is
                          > broken.
                          >
                          > Extreme Visibility

                          http://makeashorterlink.com/?I2B6256BB
                        • Ilja Preuss
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
                            extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                            > --- Andrew McDonagh
                            > <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> The guys from eXoftware do something similar only
                            >> there monitor is next
                            >> to the coffee machine and fridge - so everyone sees when the build is
                            >> broken.
                            >>

                            > So build a fingerprint scanner/access control into the
                            > fridge, and use "blame" from version control so
                            > whoever broke the build can't open the fridge;')

                            So to parent the developers to not write any tests that could fail and
                            reduce the number of refactorings done?

                            Cheers, Ilja