Technical Debt

  • Rob Park
    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 16, 2005
      What are some different ways of scheduling this?

      I'm more used to in the past of being on a legacy (not sufficiently
      tested) project and so tackling technical debt as you need to
      enhance pieces in and around the code in question.

      Now I'm more curious about new projects. We're only in iteration
      2. My current thinking is to keep a short TechDebt list and tackle
      some of the items as part of the next/each iteration, but not as
      measured stories. Then if the list doesn't remain at bay, we may
      resort to a spike story to timebox some cleanup in the next
      iteration. Worst case, if things really get out of hand, we'll take
      an entire iteration to timebox some cleanup.

      I'm not as concerned with selling the "burndown" of technical debt
      to the customer. Rather I'm curious about the scheduling/velocity
      implications.

      Thanks.

      .rob.
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 20, 2009
        Hello, Adrian. On Friday, February 20, 2009, at 6:45:49 AM, you
        wrote:

        >>> The real Ron Jeffries twittering seems to make much more sense.

        >> That seems wrong, very wrong ...

        > He didn't define the "real" and "fake" Ron - so you could still be in
        > the clear :-)

        Good point. I didn't think of that. Wonder who the other one is.
        There's my son, who afaik doesn't tweet but if he did would tweet
        about beer, and another Ron Jeffries who used to write about Apple
        computers in Byte. I think he is probably using a pen name. :)

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Attend our CSM Plus Course!
        If not now, when? -- The Talmud