extreme programming and earned value parameters

  • kh1975
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2005
      Is it possible to apply earned value management technique to extreme
      programming as XP is a different natured technique than conventional
      software models.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2005
        On Friday, August 5, 2005, at 7:29:11 AM, kh1975 wrote:

        > Is it possible to apply earned value management technique to extreme
        > programming as XP is a different natured technique than conventional
        > software models.

        Certainly, it's possible. In my opinion it's overkill, most likely,
        but it is certainly possible. I would probably use something as
        simple as a burn chart with EV on the y axis.

        There have been sporadic discussions of EV on the yahoo group
        "agileprojectmanagement", and on "agilemanagement", among others. A
        Google search on 'agile "earned value"' turns up a bunch of
        interesting items, including papers by Glen Alleman, who is a
        frequent poster on use of EV in projects.

        Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back
        of his head. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs,
        but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could
        stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps
        there isn't. -- A. A. Milne
      • Jeff Grigg
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2005

          --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
          > Certainly, it's possible. In my opinion it's overkill, most
          > likely, but it is certainly possible. I would probably use
          > something as simple as a burn chart with EV on the y axis.
          >
          > There have been sporadic discussions of EV on the yahoo
          > group "agileprojectmanagement", and on "agilemanagement",
          > among others. A Google search on 'agile "earned value"'
          > turns up a bunch of interesting items, including papers
          > by Glen Alleman, who is a frequent poster on use of EV
          > in projects.

          See also "software in process" (SIP) - an accounting concept for
          tracking the "inventory" of developed software that has not yet been
          put into production. This is useful for non-iterative projects, as
          many software costs can be accumulated as investment in the software
          an "asset" until the system goes into production, and then
          depreciated over time.

          ^ a group that's been idle for a time

          However, I've argued that SIP is largely useless, from a corporate
          perspective, for groups delivering software to production at least
          monthly, as the value would be constant (or zero) on each monthly
          report. However, it's still a useful concept on these projects, in
          terms of being a measure of waste.
        • Jeff Grigg
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2005
            > --- kh1975 wrote:
            >> Is it possible to apply earned value management technique
            >> to extreme programming as XP is a different natured
            >> technique than conventional software models?

            --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
            > Certainly, it's possible. In my opinion it's overkill, most
            > likely, but it is certainly possible. I would probably use
            > something as simple as a burn chart with EV on the y axis.

            How about Running Tested Features (RTF) as an appropriate measure of
            Earned Value?

            http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/jatRtsMetric.htm

            It seems like a much more appropriate measure than just measuring
            costs.