Re: Iterative Design

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 5:10 AM
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "SherlockSridhar"
      <sherlocksridhar@f...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Ken,
      >
      > So you agree that we can spend some time performing some upfront
      > architecture and design than just jumping straightaway into the
      > test-code cycle.
      >
      > This is not very clear from the standard expounding XP that we
      > usually hear.

      Well, yeah. But then again, I care a lot more about your team
      delivering better software sooner and having a good time doing
      it than I care about your team doing XP, so I may be leading you
      down the path of evil.

      Let's pretend we're walking down a long trail. From Georgia
      to Main (United States, sorry) for example. Now let's also
      pretend that there's a big giant camping store along the trail
      every week or so. So while it may end up getting really cold
      eventually, I don't need to carry all that cold weather gear
      every step of the way. (Yay!)

      On the other hand, I'm going to probably have this backpack with me
      every step of the way... Hmm better get a good backpack

      So when I leave the store for the first week, the stuff I bought at
      the store is no more than I needed for a week of hiking. But I
      know where the other stores are. I know where I'm going. I have
      a map. I probably don't have a map of Maine (destination), but
      I do have a decent map of Georgia (starting place). I know where
      I'm planning to sleep at night the first week. I also know that I
      stand a good chance of discovering I'm not going to make it as
      far as I thought so I may end up sleeping anywhere else.

      But this first week on the trail is going to teach me a lot. It'll
      teach me how far I can walk in a day. It'll teach me new tools
      and techniques. And it may teach me that that $300 water
      resistant backpack cover I bought the first day is a piece of junk
      and I should have used a plastic garbage bag.

      It's ok. The plan can be changed. It's going to be changed. But
      that's no reason not to have a plan in the first place. Just don't
      get too attached to the plan because part of the plan is to learn
      a lot of new things that will teach you a better plan as you go.

      I don't know if that's the XP way, but it seems to work for me.