Re: [XP] Automated Acceptance Testing challenge

  • Edmund Schweppe
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
      steve_warsa wrote:

      > The other problem I see is that the
      > pricing matrix is in the database and can be changed at anytime, so
      > it is hard to predict what the pricing will be for the new partner
      > profile and specify that in the acceptance test results.

      It's extraordinarily *easy* to know what's in the acceptance test
      database, *if* you create said database yourself.

      Assuming you're automating the tests (and from the thread title, that
      seems a good assumption), then it's technically simple to write a script
      that drops the old acceptance-test DB, creates it from scratch and
      populates it with sn initial set of data - such as the pricing matrix
      you describe.

      As a general rule, *any* good test needs to somehow specify (a) the
      initial conditions, (b) the actions to be taken, and (c) the expected
      results. Granted, one way to deal with the setup issue is to mock out
      the database, but it sounds like that wouldn't cut it for you. Building
      the DB anew each time you run the acceptance tests is one of those
      things that sounds harder than it actually is.