Re: Shrinking Teams; one of the new practices suggested in the second edition of Kent's book

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2005
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Will Stott"
      <will.stott@i...> wrote:
      > How do you reconcile shrinking teams with team continuity?

      Well, my experience tells me a few things.
      1) In our case, all our teams are still in one big room. So if you
      need past experience, they're usually only 20-30 feet away.
      2) Good people actively train people to replace them. I want to be
      able to move on so I make sure I pass my knowledge on early and often.

      > What happens if you can't merge two projects into one; do you still
      > allow two small teams to merge?

      Sure. We have a team that currently is responsible for more projects
      than it has people. It seems to work just fine. The projects are
      pretty stable and so the team often does cards other teams would like
      done but can't fit into their current iteration.

      > Has anyone any real experience of applying this practice? What
      > are your thoughts about it?

      We have roughly 70 people currently divided between 6 or so teams.
      There tends to be a major shift between teams about every quarter,
      sometimes combined with the creation of a new team because of a new
      business opportunity. The shifting between teams allows new processes
      and ideas to spread across the organization, but it's not so much of
      a shift that teams lose all their core knowledge. More of a gentle
      stirring now and then.

      We've had Smalltalk coders move to Java, Java coders move to
      Smalltalk, Cobol programmers to Smalltalk and Java, testers have
      become coders, coders have become customer proxys, and we've brought
      a lot of new people into the mix.

      Now, to be honest, it's not like we're applying the practice. We're a
      little older than the second edition and the things we do aren't "the
      practice" but something close enough as to be comparable.