Re: [XP] Re: Imagination: Choosing the Illusion of Control

  • Tony Nassar
    Message 1 of 101 , Aug 2, 2005
      No one would mistake me for an optimist, but I'm with Ron here. Even in the
      best company, I'm often discouraged to hear things like, "This agile stuff is
      all very nice, but *our* clients *make* us write shoddy code. Our clients
      make us deceive them about the schedule, with their petulance and caprice.
      3rd-party software deceives us with its apparent ease of use. We are *forced*
      to lie to ourselves about the plan, though we never believed in it. I'd have
      done things right, but time / management / the customer / the Supreme Being
      prevented me from doing so." No metrics, no studies, will persuade some that
      honesty and courage are always the best policy. You have to decide you're
      going to enact that policy, and so I would agree: there's a leap of faith
      there, or a wager with oneself.

      I wouldn't make some New Age autosuggestion thing out it, though.

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries
      > <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
      > > Often our exchanges here tell me something about myself. Here's
      > > something I noticed this morning: I consciously choose to imagine
      > > that I have rather a lot of influence over the things that happen to
      > > me.
      > >
      > > I choose the illusion that I can always get more of what I like and
      > > less of what I don't. I feel more like I'm steering, and less like
      >
      > Oh crikey. We're all in trouble when *Ron* starts having those "red
      > pill / blue pill" moments.
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Tim Haughton