Re: [XP] Shifting of the Balance?

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 157 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi,

      Some of the points on the list really got me thinking, especially the
      question of XP as a recipe.
      As actually find what I have read quite prescriptive.

      I have been influenced by Extreme Programming for a few years now.
      Over the last year I have been re-learning to run (distance running
      10K's and such).
      I have been using the Pose Method of Running to guide my approach.
      From my perspective there are many parallels in what Extreme Programming
      is to software development with what Pose Method is to running.

      However, when I come to running races - whether I am running Pose in
      other people's eyes is not important to me.
      Critics may say look at his hip alignment - he's not using gravity
      enough - his cadence is too slow.
      What is only important is whether I am running faster and less injury
      prone than before.
      Each month I may re-evaluate what I'll doing with the practices say I
      should do.
      Maybe I'll make adjustments - and if they work keep them. If not revert.

      This makes me think of how - back in the development world - we all have
      a different development team physiology?
      What injures some does not injure each other. Some seem to go fast
      whatever they do.

      This brings be to my questions- that hopefully better minds than mine
      can provide input on:
      Have there been many cases where underlying business explicitly cares
      whether 'we are doing XP'?
      If not - and it seems to me it does not - why we seem to want to bend XP
      to fit what we are actually doing?
      What if XP IS rigid and a recipe?
      What if it is just a pattern of Software Development?
      What if none of us are ever doing true XP all the time?
      What if we never get to 100% - what if it's impossible?
      Would XP not still be valuable to us? - Would it be more so?

      This is my first contribution to the list.
      I hope it adds some value.

      Cheers,

      Craig

    • Andrew McDonagh
      Message 157 of 157 , Sep 1 2:58 PM
        yahoogroups@... wrote:

        >From: "Tim Haughton"
        ><timhaughton.at.agitek.co.uk@...>

        Well, August certainly seems to have shifted us back again - 2063 posts
        in the month!

        :-O

        Andrew