Re: [XP] Agile2005 - day 1 (Sunday)- session report

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      On Monday, August 1, 2005, at 10:39:01 AM, Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

      >>Hmm. "Storytests". A new word. I can think of some advantages to
      >>that, I guess ...
      >>

      > Ron -- I invented that word back in 2003 to communicate the connection
      > between tests and stories. I'm surprised you haven't run across it
      > before -- "storytesting" is a practice in IXP, as is SDD, which stands
      > for storytest-driven development.

      I have run across it. I was reflecting on the advantages, and dis,
      of coining a new "word" rather than a phrase ...

      2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.
    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005

        > > Ron -- I invented that word back in 2003 to communicate the connection
        > > between tests and stories. I'm surprised you haven't run across it
        > > before -- "storytesting" is a practice in IXP, as is SDD, which stands
        > > for storytest-driven development.
        >
        > I have run across it. I was reflecting on the advantages, and dis,
        > of coining a new "word" rather than a phrase ...

        Our team has used the term storytest for a while, but to be honest, I prefer
        the term 'acceptance test' because customer acceptance of the completed
        feature, or story, is the most important part of the equation. Acceptance,
        as I've come to learn, is more than just having an automated storytest pass.

        Chris.

      • Joshua Kerievsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
          Chris Wheeler wrote:

          >Our team has used the term storytest for a while, but to be honest, I prefer
          >the term 'acceptance test' because customer acceptance of the completed
          >feature, or story, is the most important part of the equation. Acceptance,
          >as I've come to learn, is more than just having an automated storytest pass.

          I usually come up with new names when I encounter issues with older name
          at client sites. At some of these sites, I found that QA and others had
          previous ideas of what an "acceptance test" is. Rather than fight them
          about that, it's easier to use a new term. For a little while, I used
          Brian Marrick's term, "customer test" in place of "acceptance test."
          Then I found that I wanted something that more closely aligned the tests
          with the stories. So that's how the term "storytest" came to be.
          Meanwhile, the iteration posters we create have always contained an
          "accepted" checkbox for each story. That box gets checked when
          customers have decided that a story's implementation is acceptable.
          Passing storytests is part of acceptance -- running the program and
          observing what happens is another part. --jk

          --
          best regards,
          jk

          ----