Re: [XP] Agile2005 - day 1 (Sunday)- session report

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      >On Sunday, July 31, 2005, at 6:56:12 PM, Joshua Kerievsky wrote:
      >

      >>Glad to hear that. One minor suggestion -- we actually call them
      >>"storytests" -- no space between story and test. (The new FIT got it
      >>right in some places and wrong in others. Rick and Ward assure me
      >>they'll fix it in later printings of their book).
      >>

      >Hmm. "Storytests". A new word. I can think of some advantages to
      >that, I guess ...

      Ron -- I invented that word back in 2003 to communicate the connection
      between tests and stories. I'm surprised you haven't run across it
      before -- "storytesting" is a practice in IXP, as is SDD, which stands
      for storytest-driven development.

      --
      best regards,
      jk

      ----
      I n d u s t r i a l L o g i c , I n c .
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Founder, Industrial XP Coach
      http://industriallogic.com
      http://industrialxp.org
      866-540-8336 (toll free)
      510-540-8336 (phone)
      Berkeley, California
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        On Monday, August 1, 2005, at 10:39:01 AM, Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

        >>Hmm. "Storytests". A new word. I can think of some advantages to
        >>that, I guess ...
        >>

        > Ron -- I invented that word back in 2003 to communicate the connection
        > between tests and stories. I'm surprised you haven't run across it
        > before -- "storytesting" is a practice in IXP, as is SDD, which stands
        > for storytest-driven development.

        I have run across it. I was reflecting on the advantages, and dis,
        of coining a new "word" rather than a phrase ...

        2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.
      • Chris Wheeler
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005

          > > Ron -- I invented that word back in 2003 to communicate the connection
          > > between tests and stories. I'm surprised you haven't run across it
          > > before -- "storytesting" is a practice in IXP, as is SDD, which stands
          > > for storytest-driven development.
          >
          > I have run across it. I was reflecting on the advantages, and dis,
          > of coining a new "word" rather than a phrase ...

          Our team has used the term storytest for a while, but to be honest, I prefer
          the term 'acceptance test' because customer acceptance of the completed
          feature, or story, is the most important part of the equation. Acceptance,
          as I've come to learn, is more than just having an automated storytest pass.

          Chris.

        • Joshua Kerievsky
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
            Chris Wheeler wrote:

            >Our team has used the term storytest for a while, but to be honest, I prefer
            >the term 'acceptance test' because customer acceptance of the completed
            >feature, or story, is the most important part of the equation. Acceptance,
            >as I've come to learn, is more than just having an automated storytest pass.

            I usually come up with new names when I encounter issues with older name
            at client sites. At some of these sites, I found that QA and others had
            previous ideas of what an "acceptance test" is. Rather than fight them
            about that, it's easier to use a new term. For a little while, I used
            Brian Marrick's term, "customer test" in place of "acceptance test."
            Then I found that I wanted something that more closely aligned the tests
            with the stories. So that's how the term "storytest" came to be.
            Meanwhile, the iteration posters we create have always contained an
            "accepted" checkbox for each story. That box gets checked when
            customers have decided that a story's implementation is acceptable.
            Passing storytests is part of acceptance -- running the program and
            observing what happens is another part. --jk

            --
            best regards,
            jk

            ----