Re: [XP] Shifting of the Balance?

    Message 1 of 157 , Aug 1, 2005
      Around Monday, August 1, 2005, 4:28:00 AM, Kent Beck wrote:

      > I don't emphasize the divergence in agile development at Agile Alliance
      > events because it doesn't feel safe for me to say, "XP is different"in that
      > venue. I noticed that my open space sessions were the only ones that used
      > "XP" in the title at the Agile 2005 conference. I think there is substantial
      > disagreement between the different styles in values, principles, and
      > practices.

      > The Agile Alliance was formed to discover, articulate, and communicate the
      > common denominators between XP, Scrum, Crystal, FDD, ASD, and DSDM. It
      > doesn't surprise me that it hasn't resulted in open conflict. I think it
      > will be a sign of maturity of agile development when it is safe to say what
      > those differences are and when healthy conflict is seen positively.

      Kent,

      As you probably know, it's my current view that, while the
      description of XP is more full and rich than the others, all the
      so-called "Agile" methods are describing the same "platonic ideal"
      object. (I say "current" because it may not always have been my
      view, and may not be in the future.)

      I certainly see differences in styles, and in various specifics.
      Yet, unless we are willing to say things like "it's not XP unless
      you pair program," it seems that XP needs to encompass, all on its
      own, a wide range of practices, and to be sensitive to the values of
      team members. As far as I've seen, there is no definitive answer to
      whether a given team is or is not "doing XP". So ... is there some
      allowable variability outside which one isn't?

      If you would find this a safe place to discuss the ways that XP is
      different, and the related IS / IS NOT questions, I'd be very
      interested in the discussion, and I'd bet that many others would be
      as well.

      Regards,

      We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
      -- Albert Einstein
    • Andrew McDonagh
      Message 157 of 157 , Sep 1, 2005
        yahoogroups@... wrote:

        >From: "Tim Haughton"
        ><timhaughton.at.agitek.co.uk@...>

        Well, August certainly seems to have shifted us back again - 2063 posts
        in the month!

        :-O

        Andrew