Re: [XP] Ob-literate programming

  • Bill Rutiser
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2005
      Kent Beck wrote:

      >Following Knuth's lead, I try to point out what I find interesting about a
      >program. I try to write a coherent story, so a reader can follow the program
      >end-to-end. Sometimes what is interesting is the design, or a clever use of
      >the programming language, or a performance optimization, or the theory
      >behind the program. I haven't ever incorporated a reference manual or user
      >guide, though. Those seem to me to be directed at a different audience.
      >
      >Sincerely yours,
      >
      >Kent Beck
      >Three Rivers Institute

      Kent,

      Have you published or posted any examples of your literate programming?

      Bill Rutiser
      Gaithersburg, MD, US
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2005
        John Carter wrote:

        > Most Amazing and Attention Getting Line should be first in a program,
        > told as a story.

        "The first line of a program should 'hook' the computer, and make it
        'care' about the program" --Dan Twedt

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4, 2005
          Bill,

          "Kent Beck's Guide to Better Smalltalk" (not my choice of title) is a
          collection of columns from the late, lamented Smalltalk Report. Many of them
          are literate programs.

          Sincerely yours,

          Kent Beck
          Three Rivers Institute