Re: [XP] Creating new bugs when fixing old ones...

  • Matt Secoske
    Message 1 of 84 , Aug 1 5:15 AM
      On 7/31/05, Kay A. Pentecost <kayp@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Ian,

      > The code may be robust, but if you change the behaviour of a key
      > > component while fixing a bug, all bets are off.
      >
      > Granted. But if one changes the behavior of a key component doesn't it
      > usually become obvious when you run the system to make sure that hasn't
      > happened before checking in the code?
      >

      > > That's often the case where someone doesn't fully understand how the
      > > code works and it's best prevented by adding tests, which
      > > express your
      > > understanding of the code, before changing it.
      >
      > Yes, makes sense. The problem happens when the tests express the bug
      > fixer's understanding of the code, but not the original coders
      > understanding
      > of the code, doesn't it?
      >
      > Kay

      I have always seen debugging as an iterative process. You fix a bug and
      potentially find a bug/s. With TDD, (something I am just now getting my head
      around) I would imagine that there are still times when you need to invoke
      the debugger and walk through the code. However, I would image that this
      happens quite a bit later in the process than in a code-fix environement, as
      you have the tests to back you up.

      So, you fix a bug an break 20 tests... at least you know that they are
      broke, instead of having to run the code through any number of machinations
      to "test" it. Is this how you have seen TDD work?

      --
      Matt Secoske
      http://www.secosoft.net

    • Cory Foy
      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 5 5:42 AM
        Matt Secoske wrote:
        > Your right it does. I have one person who has started to write tests for his
        > code (not test first - we'll get there). I am continuing to push, and am
        > coming up with other examples... hopefully more persuasive than the first
        > one. I also am presenting TDD at the next Java Users Group meeting here in
        > Omaha, so if you have any thoughts or examples that I could use I would
        > appreciate it. I have read Ron's bolwing example, and have the TicTacToe
        > example that I have adopted from a presentation by Dr. Venkat Subramaniam I
        > recently attended.

        If your group is anything like mine here in Charlotte, don't use the
        example from the JUnit site. The group almost missed the point of the
        demo from trying to figure ways *they* would have handled different
        currencies. ;) That's what I get for running a JUG in a banking town...

        Cory