Re: [XP] Creating new bugs when fixing old ones...

    Message 1 of 84 , Jul 31, 2005
      On Sunday, July 31, 2005, at 8:25:46 PM, Kay A. Pentecost wrote:

      > And I've heard the original coder accuse the new guy/gal of adding 20 bugs
      > when they fix one, however, it seems to me that in most cases, the new guy
      > has just uncovered bugs that were hidden by the original bug.

      > Thinking about it, it seems to me that it's really pretty difficult to add
      > even one bug when fixing a bug in well-structured code... and that being
      > able to add bugs when fixing an old bug is a sign that the system really
      > isn't very robust.

      > Any thoughts on this?

      Well, Kay, what you say is the way to bet. However, if the code
      works, then we change one line, then ten tests (which may or may not
      exist) break ... we just inserted ten bugs into the system ...
      didn't we?

      Fatalism is born of the fear of failure, for we all believe that we carry
      success in our own hands, and we suspect that our hands are weak. -- Conrad
    • Cory Foy
      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 5, 2005
        Matt Secoske wrote:
        > Your right it does. I have one person who has started to write tests for his
        > code (not test first - we'll get there). I am continuing to push, and am
        > coming up with other examples... hopefully more persuasive than the first
        > one. I also am presenting TDD at the next Java Users Group meeting here in
        > Omaha, so if you have any thoughts or examples that I could use I would
        > appreciate it. I have read Ron's bolwing example, and have the TicTacToe
        > example that I have adopted from a presentation by Dr. Venkat Subramaniam I
        > recently attended.

        If your group is anything like mine here in Charlotte, don't use the
        example from the JUnit site. The group almost missed the point of the
        demo from trying to figure ways *they* would have handled different
        currencies. ;) That's what I get for running a JUG in a banking town...

        Cory