Re: [XP] Shifting of the Balance?

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 157 , Jul 29 5:05 AM
      From: "Tim Haughton"
      <timhaughton.at.agitek.co.uk@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 4:13 AM
      Subject: [XP] Shifting of the Balance?

      > Just noticed a curiosity...
      >
      > Last month was the ExtremeProgramming list's slowest month since its
      > creation all that time ago. Conversely, last month was the
      > SrumDevelopment list's busiest month since its inception.
      >
      > A change in the air? Or lies, damn lies and statistics?

      Interesting. In fact, this month is shaping up to be the third slowest,
      just after April of 2000.

      I'm not so sure it's a shifting of the balance. I think it's a bit more
      complicated, and, in the long run, benificial.

      XP basically consists of three heavily interrelated parts: Agile
      project management, XP software construction and XP small
      colocated team process.

      XP's version of Agile Project Management isn't all that different
      from anyone else's version. It's just different perspectives on the
      same horse and the same cart. [1]

      XP software construction process is poised to take over the
      world. I've heard that at least half of all Scrum masters are using
      it on their projects. TDD is showing up everywhere, and the
      basic facts of continuous integration and so forth are making inroads
      on even fairly classical projects. FIT is also taking off - I found the
      fact that the FIT book sold out at Agile2005 and they had to reorder
      to be quite heartening (even if the "glass half full" perspective says that
      they brought a whole bunch of books that they could have saved the
      freight on by thinking a bit about their audience.)

      That leaves the XP small colocated team practice, and frankly, that's
      where we've got all the problems. It may feel good to keep standing
      up and saying that small colocated teams are the way to go, but the
      real world is a lot more diverse, ranging from solo practitioners on
      the low end, through a lot of distributed teams (and open source
      development is only one of the forms that we haven't addressed) to
      large projects that simply can't be handled by a 3 to 12 developer
      team.

      Scrum has got a large project process: the "scrum of scrums." I
      don't think it's the magic bullet, but they've got it, and we don't.
      There are a lot of Scrum projects you can walk into and, frankly,
      the only way you can tell them from an XP project is the
      terminology.

      The real world doesn't always allow you to optimize one
      process at the expense of the environment it's set in.

      John Roth

      [1] I've got reasons I don't like the elephant metaphor.

      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Tim Haughton
      >
      > Agitek
      > http://agitek.co.uk
      > http://blogitek.com/timhaughton

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Andrew McDonagh
      Message 157 of 157 , Sep 1, 2005
        yahoogroups@... wrote:

        >From: "Tim Haughton"
        ><timhaughton.at.agitek.co.uk@...>

        Well, August certainly seems to have shifted us back again - 2063 posts
        in the month!

        :-O

        Andrew