Article on XP pathologies?

  • Paul Butcher
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 27, 2005
      Hi - I'm hoping that the group can offer me some help with the
      following:

      I am looking for an article which describes "XP Pathologies".
      Specifically, I'm looking for a list of ways to tell that your local
      implementation of XP is broken and needs remedial action.

      I've had a hunt through the various XP books and websites, but can't
      find quite what I'm after - I can't believe that it isn't out there
      though!

      Background:

      I've recently been contacted by an ex-colleague who knows that I
      have run an XP team in the past. Her organisation has recently moved
      to XP (or at least they *think* that they have). She has described a
      set of pathological behaviour to me which is frankly scary:

      - No well defined customer
      - Customer not involved because they "don't have time"
      - "Stories" defined at a technical level, rather than something
      which is meaningful to the customer
      - Developers scheduling stories rather than the customer
      - No planning at all beyond the current iteration
      - No agreed units for story estimates
      - No "coach" role
      - etc. etc. etc.

      Before they can even begin to address all of these issues, they need
      to accept that they have a problem. The best way to do this would be
      if there was a website or book that she could point to and
      say "look - it says in here that if you're not doing <foo>, then
      you're not doing XP", or better yet "look - it says in here that if
      you experience symptom <bar> then you need to take remedial action
      <baz>".

      I know that this kind of thing is distributed throughout the XP
      literature, but what I'm ideally looking for is a single collection
      of XP pathologies which they can look at (my guess is that they're
      hitting a large proportion of them!).

      Thanks in advance for your help,

      paul.butcher->msgCount++

      Snetterton, Castle Combe, Cadwell Park...
      Who says I have a one track mind?
    • Edmund Schweppe
      Message 52 of 52 , Aug 5, 2005
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > It just seems very odd to me that a team would be going along, not
        > getting good results, and then say "The book is wrong," rather than
        > "We must be doing something wrong."
        > Maybe I'm the only person most of whose problems seem to come from
        > his own mistakes ...

        I rather doubt *that*, if for no other reason than that I Have That
        Pattern myself.

        On the other hand, it's probably *easier* for some teams to blame the
        book, rather than themselves, when confronted with not-good results.
        When confronted with outright failure, it's even easier to lay the blame
        on "the book", especially since books don't tend to talk back and
        challenge hidden assumptions.