Re: run by a developer?

  • John Levy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2005
      on 7/15/05 1:49 PM, extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com at
      extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > From: "SirGilligan" <sirgilligan@...>
      > Subject: Re: Management

      ... Microsoft lore tells a story that Bill Gates wrote a version of a
      > Disk Operating System. If he really did develope and version of a
      > DOS then I would count him as a programmer.

      I testified about DOS versions (versions of DOS, from 0.75 -- not written by
      Gates, but by Tim Patterson -- to 4.0 -- not written by Gates, as far as I
      know) in 1986 -- the Seattle Computer Products v. Microsoft case. Gates,
      was, however an ace programmer on other things, like compilers (Basic, etc.)
      And we can credit him with inventing that wonderful (?) thing called the
      FAT. Jobs, ever the visionary, didn't do the programming on the Apple 1 or
      2 (that was Woz), but prodded everyone to produce "what the customer
      wanted".

      > So Ron, if I am wrong about Microsoft, do you know of any
      > companies that were successful that were started and ran by a
      > developer?

      One company founded by an engineer (not a programmer), was Digital Equipment
      Corporation. And Ken Olsen ran the company for over 25 years. Of course,
      he was unable to visualize the impact of PCs on minicomputers, so DEC is no
      longer around. But 25 years isn't bad for a "developer."

      --John
      -----
      John Levy