Re: KISS

  • Kevin Wheatley
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 4, 2005
      Ian Collins wrote:
      > Or the simplest form:
      >
      > memset( score, 0, sizeof(score) );
      >
      > Would that score high for simplicity, or low for obscurity?
      >
      > To an experienced programmer, it is clear, efficient and concise, to a
      > novice more than a little cryptic. The joys of C.

      well the problem I have with this is that if you switched to floating
      point scores this might still work, but leaves you with a problem if
      you find your self with non IEEE floats on any particular platform.
      Your making an assumption about the underlying representation in
      memory of the types. Whilst its correct most of the time its poor in
      terms of robustness.

      This would be pretty poor C++ code especially with templates (generics
      in Java) making that switch to float real easy.

      Kevin
      --
      | Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this |
      | Senior Technology | My employer for certain |
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 8, 2005
        > Wednesday, June 29, 2005, 12:59:47 AM, Clark, David wrote:
        > > I teach an introductory programming subject to students [...]
        > > So what to use for the simplicity measure?

        As a quick aside, I prefer "clarity" to "simplicity." Clarity is
        something that is easier to point at than simplicty. Even if you can
        still disagree on whether something is clearer or not, you can at
        least discuss more usefully why or how it's clearer or not.

        My rationale is that the more clearly the programmer's intent is
        expressed in the code, the better the compiler can optimize. And
        generally the compiler's optimizations will be better than any that I
        have time/energy/smarts to add... until I measure and find that it's
        not good enough, in which case I'll do a more rigorous performance
        analysis. Add in here the usual arguments against early optimization
        and the usual advice on the right way to do optimization :-).

        On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:30:50AM -0500, Doug Swartz wrote:
        > [...]
        > Simplicity is truly in the eyes of the beholder. The only
        > reason simplicity is important, is because, unlike code written
        > for college courses, code written for industry is usually read
        > many more times than it is written. Thus it is dependent on
        > the experience, skill, and biases of the reader.
        >
        > You could look at using some of the automated complexity
        > calculation algorithms: cyclomatic, essential, .... I'm not a
        > fan of these, but they're, perhaps, better than nothing.
        >
        > Another approach is Steven's suggestion to have the students
        > rate each other's work for simplicity. It is subjective, but
        > it's a good approach because, as noted above, the goal of
        > simplicity is "in the eye of the beholder". I

        Does it have to be rated on each project? Maybe follow up each
        project with a review of a solution turned in for the previous class,
        and an examination of how the code could have been simplified and
        refactored. If you want to be brave, you could use a solution from a
        current student, but I'd be wary of the emotions & politics that could
        introduce :-).

        Or you could make it an extra credit assignment - given this
        solution to the project you last completed, what change would be the
        best way to improve the clarity of the code. Best suggestion gets
        five extra points.

        --
        Steven J. Owens
        puff@...