Re: [XP] Re: KISS

  • Randy MacDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
      ...Including score.5? Hmmm...

      Later...
      |\/| Randy A MacDonald | you can't pay for it,
      |\\| randymacdo@... | even if you want to.
      BSc(Math) UNBF'83 Sapere Aude | APL: If you can say it, it's done..
      Natural Born APL'er | demo website: http://69.193.255.224/
      ------------------------------------------------------------{ gnat }-

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
        Randy MacDonald wrote:
        > Not into (Perl, APL,...) golf myself, but in J:
        >
        > score =: 4$0
        >
        > Is the shortest I've seen.

        Short is not the issue. I used to do contests of extremely short code
        snippets. My lisp version usually consisted of one line (AND was quite
        readable) and was always shorter than a java one. However, the one who
        won was another collegue who knew how to program in APL. He usually did
        in in THREE characters. I only once had a problem that made him require
        four characters. But, as he said, APL is a "write only" language. No
        simplicity here.

        Best regards,
      • Randy MacDonald
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
          Some points:
          [0] APL has been accused of being a "write-only language," The computer
          reads it just fine. (I've never been very impressed with Pournelle in any
          case.)
          [1] My example was in J.
          [2] Doesn't shortness equate with simplicity, if you follow the "...but no
          simpler." guideline, of course?
          [3] How hard can three characters be?