Re: [XP] Re: KISS

  • Randy MacDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
      Not into (Perl, APL,...) golf myself, but in J:

      score =: 4$0

      Is the shortest I've seen.

      Later...
      |\/| Randy A MacDonald | you can't pay for it,
      |\\| randymacdo@... | even if you want to.
      BSc(Math) UNBF'83 Sapere Aude | APL: If you can say it, it's done..
      Natural Born APL'er | demo website: http://69.193.255.224/
      ------------------------------------------------------------{ gnat }-

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
          Randy MacDonald wrote:
          > Not into (Perl, APL,...) golf myself, but in J:
          >
          > score =: 4$0
          >
          > Is the shortest I've seen.

          Short is not the issue. I used to do contests of extremely short code
          snippets. My lisp version usually consisted of one line (AND was quite
          readable) and was always shorter than a java one. However, the one who
          won was another collegue who knew how to program in APL. He usually did
          in in THREE characters. I only once had a problem that made him require
          four characters. But, as he said, APL is a "write only" language. No
          simplicity here.

          Best regards,
        • Randy MacDonald
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
            Some points:
            [0] APL has been accused of being a "write-only language," The computer
            reads it just fine. (I've never been very impressed with Pournelle in any
            case.)
            [1] My example was in J.
            [2] Doesn't shortness equate with simplicity, if you follow the "...but no
            simpler." guideline, of course?
            [3] How hard can three characters be?