Re: [XP] Re: KISS

  • Jim Standley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
      And in REXX

      score. = 0

      Which doesn't even allocate any memory, but just says if somebody asks
      for a score.x that we haven't defined yet, give them 0.

      Dave W. Smith wrote:
      > Keith Ray wrote:
      >
      >>In C, C++, Java:
      >>
      >>int score[4] = { 0,0,0,0 };
      >

      > and in Perl, since "There's More Than One Way To Do It":
      >
      > @score = (0, 0, 0, 0); # or
      > @score = qw(0 0 0 0); # or
      > @score = (0) x 4;
      >
      > Dave

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Randy MacDonald
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
        Not into (Perl, APL,...) golf myself, but in J:

        score =: 4$0

        Is the shortest I've seen.

        Later...
        |\/| Randy A MacDonald | you can't pay for it,
        |\\| randymacdo@... | even if you want to.
        BSc(Math) UNBF'83 Sapere Aude | APL: If you can say it, it's done..
        Natural Born APL'er | demo website: http://69.193.255.224/
        ------------------------------------------------------------{ gnat }-

        > and in Perl, since "There's More Than One Way To Do It":
        >
        > @score = (0, 0, 0, 0); # or
        > @score = qw(0 0 0 0); # or
        > @score = (0) x 4;
        >
        > Dave

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Randy MacDonald

          > Which doesn't even allocate any memory, but just says if somebody asks
          > for a score.x that we haven't defined yet, give them 0.
          >
          > Dave W. Smith wrote:
          > > Keith Ray wrote:
          > >
          > >>In C, C++, Java:
          > >>
          > >>int score[4] = { 0,0,0,0 };
          > >

          > > and in Perl, since "There's More Than One Way To Do It":
          > >
          > > @score = (0, 0, 0, 0); # or
          > > @score = qw(0 0 0 0); # or
          > > @score = (0) x 4;
          > >
          > > Dave

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Willem Bogaerts
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
            Randy MacDonald wrote:
            > Not into (Perl, APL,...) golf myself, but in J:
            >
            > score =: 4$0
            >
            > Is the shortest I've seen.

            Short is not the issue. I used to do contests of extremely short code
            snippets. My lisp version usually consisted of one line (AND was quite
            readable) and was always shorter than a java one. However, the one who
            won was another collegue who knew how to program in APL. He usually did
            in in THREE characters. I only once had a problem that made him require
            four characters. But, as he said, APL is a "write only" language. No
            simplicity here.

            Best regards,
          • Randy MacDonald
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
              Some points:
              [0] APL has been accused of being a "write-only language," The computer
              reads it just fine. (I've never been very impressed with Pournelle in any
              case.)
              [1] My example was in J.
              [2] Doesn't shortness equate with simplicity, if you follow the "...but no
              simpler." guideline, of course?
              [3] How hard can three characters be?